MIDLAND SOFTBALL ASSOCIATION
2018 FALL COED RULES
Printable version click here
The intent of Fall Coed is to play and have fun.
(FALL COED RULES ONLY)
You will be allowed to pick up AS MANY PLAYERS YOU NEED from other teams on your night of play to start the game. With this allowance, you are not allowed to pick up players just to bat extra players; (i.e. if you have seven players, you can pick up three to get to 10, but not five to bat 12.)
1. Coed teams consist of 10 players; five males and five females. Each team must have a minimum of nine (9) players to start the game, five (5) male and four (4) female, or five (5) female and four (4) male with the tenth player position taking an out. There are no requirements on positions played in league play.
2. Coed Line: 175' line is an arc 175' from home plate that runs from foul line to foul line. When a player is at bat, no outfielder may be within that arc until the ball is hit. Infielders must play normal depth and only four infielders in addition to the pitcher and catcher are allowed.
Comment on rule 9: Penalty for not staying outside the 175' line will be single to the batter, or the result of the previous play, whichever is greater. Example: Player at bat, outfielder is within 175' arc, player hits the ball. Ball gets past fielder, runners on base score and batter ends up on second. Play stands, result of play is greater than the within arc penalty. Example: Player at bat, outfield is within arc. Player hits ball and outfield makes a catch. Dead ball, batter is awarded first base; all other base runners advance one base if forced.
3. When substitutes are used, a male player can only replace another male player, and a female player can only replace a female player.
4. The batting order must alternate between male and female players. The first batter in the line-up can be either male or female.
5. If a male batter walks, he is awarded second base. The next batter (a female) will bat. EXCEPTION: With two outs, the female batter has the option to walk or bat.
6. Players may only wear all-purpose shoes or tennis shoes in coed games. Players wearing metal cleats will not be allowed to play.
7. It is strongly recommended, for safety purposes, that teams use a male pitcher.
8. The extra player rule in coed requires that when used, it must be with two extra players, one male and one female. There is no designated runner allowed in coed.
9. The current ASA runs ahead rule will be in effect for all games.
10. The pitcher must throw an 11" ball to women batters and a 12" ball to male batters. Penalty: If the wrong ball is used, the manager of the offensive team has the option of taking the result of the play or having the last hitter re-bat and assume the ball and strike count prior to the wrong ball being discovered.
11. Please be aware of the ASA short-handed rule.
12. Rule 8 Section 9B2: Any eligible player on the official line-up including available substitutes may be used as a courtesy runner. A courtesy runner may be used once per inning. NOTE: Any Courtesy Runner used in Coed must be gender specific. Comment: Allows for all Adult Slow Pitch Divisions of Play to use a Courtesy Runner once per inning.
13. NEW!! Batters will start with 1-1 count.